I find mornings cold and lonely. Perhaps that’s why I like them;
I love to look over at my wife with her mouth slightly open wandering in some
dream. The persistence of birds telling the world I don’t know but it sounds
like complaining to me. I love the solitude of a good morning. When the world is
still rubbing the sleep out of its eyes, the sun only warning of is inevitable
coming.
Slipping out of the warm blankets to the cold morning warmed
only by my morning tea with extra honey. I was born in a cold and wet place
most people stay away from preferring to look at it in postcards. Washington is
well known for 2 things 1 being the rainiest state and 2 being the state with
the highest suicide rate. But I am not mentioning the unsurpassed beauty of the
place. Hills after rolling hills covered with dark green pines all moving in
unison to the wind. I love Washington how I love that place cemented in my memory.
Cold mornings remind me of the days of my childhood spent playing in the rain
and running in the woods the feeling of solitude washing over like the rain.
It’s funny but
looking back at a place I wished so badly to leave I can find no bad memories only
good times. But I know in my heart I can never go back and see it as I did as a
child. I have seen too much and been gone too long. But the damp cold California
mornings act as my time machine back to the past, back to that place. Flooded
with the damp sensations of a cold morning surrounded by solitude I am pulled
back in time whisked away to memories of dark forest and misty days.
I once thought that
Washington was stuck in the past now I think California is stuck in summer. There’s
not much for sessions here. Time and the people are seemingly in summer all
year long. The pine trees are replaced with well groomed palm trees. Rainy days
with blue skies never ending. The gold California sun is persistently beating
as the rain of my childhood home. My heart is big and there is a place for both
places and more to come. I love California with all its surfboards and sunny
days. I spent the first part of my life in winter it makes sense that the next
would be in summer. Perhaps the sessions of my life will bring me full circle
once again.
No comments:
Post a Comment